There’s no better way to get a fresh-faced, youthful glow than by paying attention to your skin. Neglected skin dries, cracks and leaves you feeling dull amongst the bright fabrics and patterns of summer. Here’s an easy head-to-toe guide to getting that summer skin you’ve been dreaming of.
If summer makes you think of:
- Sandals, then you need to start the season right with a fantastic foot scrub. You can visit your favorite Mani/Pedi spot or try the homemade scrub below to remove dead, flaky skin and leave your toes ready for their close-up.
- Summer Foot Scrub: All you need is Brown Sugar, Sea Salt and Olive Oil. Throw measurements out the window with this one. As with any scrub, it needs to be more thick than runny, and use more Brown Sugar than Sea Salt. Rub your feet down with this great mixture, rinse, pat dry and you’ll have silky-smooth, sandal-ready feet!
- (Short) Shorts, then you need to get hydrated! Dull and dry legs are a direct result of dehydration. Keep your reusable water bottle filled with water purified water from your home drinking water system for an environmentally and skin-friendly solution. Another great tip is to apply lotion right after you shower to seal in moisture. Opt for a fragrance-free lotion if you have very dry or irritable skin.
- A more natural look (skipping the makeup!), then you’ll have to follow a few simple rules.
- Make sure you get your eight glasses of water in each day for properly hydrated skin. It works for your face the same way it works for your legs! Hydrated skin is also less prone to acne.
- Get your beauty sleep. Seriously, they call it that for a reason. More sleep means less dark circles and no need for concealer. Healthy adults get around 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Try using a silk eye mask for longer, deeper sleep.
- Keep your skin clean. Stick to the face wash that works for you, but try switching up your water. Have you tried washing your face with soft water? Hard water is notorious for leaving a pore-clogging soap scum on your skin even after you rinse. Soft water is mineral-free, which means you can get squeaky clean with less product and no more scum!
- Moisturize! Try a moisturizing face lotion with SPF for a dewy, fresh face and protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
These steps, teamed with good sun protection can help maintain a healthy, sun-kissed glow all season long. No fancy products and no crazy routines. All you have to do is drink, sleep and wash your dull skin away!